Monday 9 September 2024

If I post every few years, is that considered active?

I just happened across this poem I wrote and liked and so I thought I'd hurl it into the ether.


How I Remember It
 
I’m fifteen, on a class trip to the city
waiting for a group of friends
to hide in.  They bring you with them,
long lean laughing boy -
so beautiful I can barely look at you.
 
The afternoon blurs.  Ice cream somewhere,
hide and seek in the cool marble halls
of the Mantioba Legislative Buildings,
the spring air drenched in lilacs.
 
Open air concert the next time.
You’re late, but a quick nudge in my ribs
lets me know it’s my bit of shade
you’ve chosen to shelter in.
 
They all wanted you,
all the slim pretty girls
with the long straight hair -
 
and you wanted me.

 - Susan Plett

No comments:

Post a Comment